Gorilla Tracking Uganda via Entebbe
3 Days | Mountain Gorilla Trekking in Uganda
Meet Mountain Gorillas in Bwindi National Park, Enjoy the silence at beautiful Lake Bunyonyi, Visit local people, experience their local way of living, Visit traditional healers village, a local community orphanage school. unique sightings & impressive landscapes. Available in budget and luxury comfort options.
Need To Know
Additional accommodation before and at the end of the tour can be arranged for extra cost!
Lodging mentioned in the itinerary depends on availability of rooms available at the time of booking. Reservations will only be made after your confirmed booking with us.
At the time of booking in the event that the listed hotel is fully booked or room unavailable, we will do our best to inform you and book a similar hotel of the same class available.
Early morning after breakfast at 7.00 am our guide will pick you from the guesthouse/hotel and then leave for the South West of Uganda. You will have Lunch stop in Mbarara and from here we will continue the journey through Kabale District passing villages, cultivated farms, and hills before you reach in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Please note the choice of lodging will be determined by location of Gorilla family available at time of booking!
Bwindi Gorilla impenetrable forest National Park is about 330sq kms, with spectacular scenery, impressive forest views. The whole geographical scenery is basically hilly and mountainous. At an elevation between 1160 to 2607m (3806 to 8553ft) rains can shower anytime in Bwindi forest, it is recommended that visitors pack rain wear, waterproof clothing and appropriate hiking shoes to wear on during gorilla tracking or forest walks. Daytime temperatures range from 23C/73F at times dropping to as low as 11C/52F
There are 15 gorilla families which have been habituated for gorilla viewing, all of which can be accessed from specific locations/sectors of the forest. Eight people are permitted to view a single family per day. To trek gorillas you need a gorilla permit/license. Gorilla licenses are booked by location not by the name of a gorilla family. There are 4 starting gates namely; in North at BUHOMA, in the East at RUHIJA and in the South at RUSHAGA & South West at NKURINGO.
Luxury: Ichumbi Gorilla Lodge ( B,L,D)
Budget: Trekkers Tervan Cottages/Ride4woman (B,D)
Today our guide will pick you up from your lodge, at 7.30am transfer to park gate (5-10 minutes) Pre-tracking orientation starts at 8:00AM. Trekking through the thick jungle, traversing canopies of thick undergrowth can be tough, wet, strenuous but not impossible – the tracking can last from as little as 45 minutes to as much as 10 hours. The activity depends on location of gorillas the previous day. Visitors therefore are supposed to move along with packed/picnic lunch and water, and should be equipped with strong water-proof clothing and must be averagely healthy.
Please note that after Gorilla tracking we can drive two and half hours to Lake Bunyonyi for chilling, relaxation and overnight by the lake Bunyonyi R Resort.
Optional activities at lake Bunyonyi
- Boat ride to punishment island – Look out for “akampene” – the punishment Island – where until 1940’s unmarried pregnant girls were dropped and left to die helplessly or starve to death, some drown trying to swim ashore; they were often saved my poor men who could not afford pride price. It was a taboo to pregnant before the recommended marriage age. costs $15 per person.
- Boat ride to traditional healer’s village. Experience how traditional african medicine is integrated into modern medicine. The healer not only treats the sick, but uses his knowledge to conserve and educate about the various medicinal plants if time. costs $40 per person.
- Hiking to view islands of lake Bunyonyi ($10) per person
- Self canoeing, ($5) depends one skill
- Guided Canoeing, ($18) takes 1 hour,
- High ropes course and zip lining, ($30) per person, takes 1.5 to 2hrs
- Guided Bird watching, learn about common bird species of the lake. ($20 per person)
- lake Bunyonyi is a known to be a place of so many little small birds. It’s possible to have an early morning guided bird watching.
To go on a gorilla trek, you need a gorilla permit/license which we can arrange for you. We can only purchase your Gorilla permit after you have made a down-payment to us. Gorilla permits are competitive on a daily basis, advance booking is always preferred.
Please note the gorilla tracking in this itinerary can be done in Bwindi and or Mgahinga national parks. Gorilla tracking is dependent on the permits availability at the time of your booking. Gorilla permits in all parks are on a very high demand and we advise that you book them as early as possible.
- Gorilla trekking can be strenuous activity and Minimum gorilla tracking age is 15 years.
- What to bring: Hiking shoes/walking shoes, long socks to tuck-in long pants , rain wear, warm clothing, evenings can be cold/chilly, gloves preferably gardening type are very helpful and insect repellant.
- Anyone with signs of communicable diseases will NOT be allowed to track.
- While possession of a gorilla permit is a guarantee of trekking and
- Maximum time allowed with the gorillas will NOT exceed ONE hour, you are kindly requested to practice different modes of using your camera in different light situations. Gorillas can sometimes be moving, Forest vegetation can at times obstruct visibility, and hence taking photos of these creatures can be very challenging!
Our standard offering is a 4WD with pop-up roof for easy safari viewing. All passengers will have a dedicated window seat. Your driver/guide will be at your disposal for questions.
If you want to extend your tour to one of our other destinations or if you’d like to add a few side trips to the itinerary, kindly let us know.
Gorilla trekking takes place at altitudes 1160 to 2607m (3806 to 8553ft) above sea level. This means that moderate/average physical fitness is required. The slowest member will determine the groups’ speed. The pace will be moderate, with plenty stops to rest, ask questions, re-hydrate and enjoy the forest and views.
Booking and payment details:
Once you have decided to join one of our safaris, you will need to contact us for booking form which will include details relating to deposit and final payments etc.
Trip Price Includes:
- 4×4 transport with gas
- Gorilla permit ($600)
- English speaking driver guide
- Accommodation in self-contained
- Activities as indicated on itinerary.
- Full Board (Dinner, Breakfast, Packed Lunch on tracking date as indicated on itinerary)
Trip Price excludes:
- Air ticket
- Rwanda/Uganda Visa
- Tips to Guides
- Any meals not indicated on itinerary, drinks, tips, items of personal nature
- Entertainment, any other optimal activity.