Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda.
Where to see Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda:
Rwanda is probably the world's premier gorilla trekking destination. Apart from Uganda’s gorilla tracking in Bwindi & Mgahinga gorilla national parks, no other wildlife encounter matches trekking to see gorillas in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park.
On the slopes of Volcanoes National Park is where celebrated primatologist Dian Fossy studied gorilla behaviors for almost 20 years. The acclaimed movie ‘Gorillas in the mist’ was shot on the very same bamboo-covered slopes. Trekking to see mountain gorillas in Rwanda is a once in lifetime experience worth the price.
Gorilla tracking prices in Rwanda
To go gorilla trekking, it is requirement to have a Rwanda gorilla permit, which cost $1500. You can purchase your permit up to two years in advance through a registered tour agency or through the Rwanda Development Board. Besides Rwanda has positioned itself as a high-end luxury, low-impact tour destination, so most of her accommodations are highly priced, with newer properties everywhere. It all depends on your preferred travel style:
- Midrange accommodations range from $100 to $300 per night based on 2 people sharing.
- Semi Luxury properties range from 350 to 500 per person sharing.
- Super Luxury accommodations range from 1000 to 2000 per person based on 2 sharing.
That said standard budget options are available ranging from $50 to $100 per room per night. If you are interested in enjoying gorilla trekking in real luxury and you're not mindful of the high-end cost, go to Rwanda.
Frequently Asked Question about Rwanda
Accommodation costsRwanda pitches itself as the high-end gorilla trekking destination; this is reflected in the higher price of the permit and the bigger range of top-end accommodation. Rwanda has some sensational luxury properties and a fair number of overpriced mid-range ones, so book with caution. Typical accommodation costs in Rwanda:
- Standard Budget: $30 - $60 per person per night based on 2 people sharing
- Comfortable Mid-range: $70 - $250 per person per night based on 2people. sharing
- Luxury: $300-$3,000 per person per night based on two sharing