Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Tour | 3 Days
2pax: per person sharing
Visiting: Kigali City, Volcanoes National Park
What to Expect
- Up close encounter of Mountain Gorillas at Volcanoes NP.
- Visit Kigali Memorial Museum.
- Discover Rwanda’s unique hospitality.
- Learn gorilla conservation at the Ellen DeGeneres of Dian Fossey Campus
- Amazing African experience.
Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Tour – 3 Days
This Rwanda Gorilla trekking tour takes you to Rwanda’s Volcanoes national park – home to the mountain gorillas in the Virunga conservation area. Diana Fossey conducted research on the majestic mountain gorillas of Rwanda for 18 years. Thanks to her efforts to protect them, the country has secured a modest population who live in the mountains in the volcanoes national park. As Rwanda slowly recovers from its own holocaust in the 90s, there’s no better place to view these threatened but spectacular primates. Reconnect with local people at Nyamirambo women’s Centre township.
Meet local people and meet first-hand rural life in the area.
- Gorilla trekking is an exceptional once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Come face to face with Mountain Gorillas in Volcanoes National Park.
- Scenic drives through Rwanda, known as the Land of a Thousand Hills with its beautiful rolling landscapes dotted with tea plantations, rugged mountains, towering volcanoes
- Kigali is one of Africa’s cleanest and most interesting capitals.
- Visit the Genocide Memorial Centre in Kigali, where 250,000 victims have been buried.
- You simply cannot appreciate this beautiful country and its people if you haven’t visited this memorial centre. Reconnect with local people at Nyamirambo women’s centre township.
- This Rwanda Gorilla Trekking tour starts and ends in Kigali, Rwanda.
Things to know:
- Mountain gorillas share 98% of our DNA and are prone to catching human illnesses. Please note that if you are unwell with anything contagious, even a common cold, you may be denied any of the treks to ensure the safety of the gorillas. This is a national park regulation, and trekking permits will not be refunded if you are denied entrance due to illness.
- Touching gorillas is not allowed (although in some cases gorillas may come closer to touching you)
- Given the high elevation (over 2000m), to ease your walking, hiring a local helper (porter) is recommended. Porters are hired at a small fee ($15) to carry your backpack along the path. All are hired from local villages and not only can carry your day pack, but assist you with a welcome hand over difficult spots. Regardless of your fitness level, we highly recommend hiring a porter as some tracks can be very muddy and elevation can affect even the fittest person.
Rwanda Gorilla Trekking Tour – 3 Days
Day 0: Arrival in Kigali
Arrival and transfer to your hotel. If you have some time explore some evening life. Kigali is known for its pleasant, friendly atmosphere.
Day1: Kigali City to Volcanoes National Park
Estimated Driving time: 2-3 hours.
Today you will head out for Kigali City Tour on your way to Volcanoes National Park. The Kigali City tour offers you the true heartbeat of the city. The nation’s recovery is incredible and a testimony to a dark past but a bright future.
You will visit Kigali Genocide Memorial Museum at Gisozi. Learn how an estimated one million Rwandans were killed in nearly 100 days of genocide. The memorial museum is where the remains of 250, 000 victims of the 1994 Genocide are buried. It has a cemetery, a genocide exhibition section & a library. A visit to this memorial center is not only an educational experience that will offer you a thorough insight into the country’s painful past but also provides a truly moving experience.
The memorial is moving – the tour takes two to three hours – It is in memory of the multitudes murdered in Rwanda´s genocide in 1994.
You will visit Nyamirambo women’s center & reconnect with local people, situated in the largest and most vibrant township in Kigali City. The center provides women and girls the opportunity to obtain practical skills to support each other and succeed in life. Enjoy lunch prepared by women employed at the center, allowing us to try local lunch; foods, and popular dishes. You could browse through the center’s shop, which features handmade, high-quality crafts, fabrics, and clothes, made by some of the women. Proceeds from sales help to support skills training programs for this women’s Centre.
Pass by the Hotel des Mille Collines (where the 2004 movie ‘Hotel Rwanda’ was filmed based on events relating to families that took shelter in this 5-star hotel during the genocide) in Kigali. Later we travel to the Volcanoes National Park driving through the stunning scenery of flourishing green hills and valleys.
Meals: Lunch, Dinner Included
Day 2: Volcanoes National Park: Mountain Gorilla trekking
Early morning departure from the lodge to the Volcanoes National Park headquarters in Kinigi for your mountain gorilla trekking encounter. Here you will meet up with excellent park rangers and guides, who will give a talk on the etiquette of gorilla trekking. After orientation on gorilla trekking rangers at the park headquarters, you will be allocated a gorilla family to visit, we take a short drive to the starting point.
Thereafter, trek into the forest. You will start tracking where the gorillas were seen the day before. At the gorillas, you will visit live habituated families that can be viewed by tourists. Each group can be visited by a maximum of 8 people daily.
Trekking usually starts at different starting points. The trekking can take from 1 to 8 hours roundtrip and climb to altitudes in excess of 7,500 feet. Coming face-to-face with a mountain gorilla is one of the most memorable wildlife encounters in Africa. The mountain gorilla species (Gorilla beringei beringei) is a critically endangered species. At least 480 mountain gorillas inhabit this (Virunga) complex and live at altitudes from 2300 – 4500m ranging within the southern part of Virunga National Park (DRC) and the Volcanoes National Park in northern Rwanda. Although the walk is physically demanding the beauty of the forest and surrounding scenery make the trekking worthwhile. Once the gorillas are located all fatigue is forgotten, as the experience is often described as being the most profound natural history experience in the world. It can rain at a few minutes’ notice; hence waterproof clothing is a good essential including zip lock bags for cameras and film. It is important to take bottled water.
Gorilla trekking is an exceptional once-in-a-lifetime experience. In order to minimize animal stress and exposure to possible human disease, daily visits are limited to “only one-hour” viewing. This rule still allows you adequate time for photography and viewing these great primates in their natural habitat.
Today afternoon, you can choose to relax at the lodge or get on optional activities; a) visit the nearby Gorilla Guardians Cultural Village or b) visit the local market. A guided walk through this village will reward you with an unusual and unforgettable experience as you go to different sites in this community. You will be visiting the king’s house, hearing all the interesting stories, and getting some insight about all the items in his house. Enjoy Rwandan traditional dances like Intore dance, performed by community members, using local and traditional musical instruments. After return to your lodge.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner Included
Day 3: Musanze to Kigali
Today morning you could opt to visit the Ellen DeGeneres of Dian Fossey gorilla conservation campus. Visit the education gallery to learn more about gorilla conservation, and research works and explore how to get involved with a generation of gorilla conservationists. The gallery also displays the works of Dian Fossey, an American primatologist who lived in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park from 1966 until her murder in December 1985. After transfer to Kigali for your flight.
- Return transfers to Kigali Airport
- Accommodation on tour on a full board basis (breakfast, lunch & dinner)
- Private 4×4 Land Cruiser safari vehicle. Reference Books & Maps, Bottled water in vehicles.
- English-speaking driver/guides in Rwanda
- x1 Gorilla trekking permit per person at Volcanoes National Park (US$1500 per permit)
- All other activities as stipulated in the itinerary, include; City tour of Kigali, a Kigali memorial museum visit, Nyamirambo women’s Centre and a visit to the Gorilla guardians cultural Village.
- Entry visa for Rwanda
- International flights.
- Yellow fever inoculation certificate or an exemption letter from your doctor.
- Malaria preventive medication.
- Arrival/Departure covid19 tests and Vaccinations
- Travel insurance (highly recommended)
- Optional activities (Cultural village, market visit
- Meals and drinks not specified
- Laundry services
- Gratuities to the driver/guide, trackers, hotel staff, and porters
- All expenses of personal nature
- Activities not specified
- Mountain Gorilla View lodge or One & Only Gorillas Nest or Five Volcanoes lodge
Request a quote for this trip